Monday, December 16, 2013

An announcement!

So if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, feel free to disregard this entire post. See you back here tomorrow :)

But if you don't, or if you weren't on much this weekend, I have some exciting news! Matt, my boyfriend of nearly six years, asked me to marry him. Wow, even after a weekend of announcing that to family and friends (and even considering that I helped him pick it out a few weeks ago), it's still kind of hard to believe!

He totally got me, too. He contacted my friend Hayley, who I work with, and asked her to help coordinate. She asked me Friday afternoon to go with her while she bought some tickets off a guy on Craigslist. I'm a frequent CL buyer/seller, and I own a can of pepper spray, so I was more than happy to make sure she didn't get murdered. She said we were meeting the guy at the Ohio Statehouse, which is right across the street from where we work. And it's an absolutely gorgeous building, buy the way — one of my favorites in Columbus.

In retrospect, I should have known something was up. She was so giddy, and she kept trying to make me put on makeup: "Emma, want to try this sweet new concealer I got? Ooh, here, check out this new lipgloss!" I thought she was just being weird. So we finally leave, we're walking to the crosswalk, and I get the weirdest sensation of being watched. You ever get that feeling? I just somehow knew that the "Craigslist guy" was over at the Statehouse, staring at us. It actually creeped me out. Later, I found out Matt actually had watched us leave the building and walk down the street. Weird, right?

Anyway, so we get there and Hayley dashes up the stairs. My hand is on my mace in my pocket, which is standard protocol for any Craigslist meetup. She's running up the stairs, and I'm telling her that the door is locked, we're at the wrong entrance. And as I get to the top of the stairs, Matt steps out from behind a pillar. My hand jerked involuntarily in my pocket, and then I realized it was just him. Then it dawned on me: He was dressed up in a button-down and a tie under a sweater, and he definitely, absolutely wasn't trying to sell Hayley some basketball tickets.

I was actually so shocked, I kept, backing away from him, until I hit a pillar behind me. And then I just cried and cried, and he got down on one knee and gave this beautiful little speech, and...oh, damn. I'm crying again.

Long story short, it was absolutely perfect.

12-16-13 proposal

It's been such a blissful weekend, to the point where I'm not even sure if I've used that word correctly before today. I can barely even find words for it.

So you all can expect the appearance of some moderate wedding content around here, though I promise to try to keep it in check for those of you who couldn't care less :) haha. And while diamonds are notoriously difficult to photograph, I did manage to get a couple of decent shots for anyone who wanted a closeup:

12-16-13-ring

Squee!!!

So, uhh...how was your weekend? Haha.

6 comments:

  1. OMG! How exciting! I'm really glad you didn't accidentally mace him. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Amazing! So lovely! So glad you were surprised!!!! Enjoy it, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Emma! Enjoy the planning process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what a sweet story! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats again lol!! That ring is gorgeous. What a sweet story, I love that he was totally able to surprise you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello, awesome commenter! I love feedback and try to respond to all comments (especially ones with questions) if I can find an email or blog address.

Thaaaaaanks for reading!